Monday, July 10, 2006

The Photographer, The Clutch and Me

Event dated 30th June, 2006

Usual procedures. White card, passport, leathers, boots, gloves, helmet and ringgit. Supposed to meet up with Alex but it was already half an hour past 8. There was still no news of him, I wonder if he was just gonna turn up, not that the endless ring tone reverberating from the other side of the line was helping in any way. I could just leave for Malaysia first and probably meet up with him over the other side of the causeway, but I needed to confirm whether I had to bring an extra jacket for him due to the safety regulations.

Just as I was about to leave the house, Alex called. He told me that he screwed up the booking out and was still stucked in camp. Great. I set off to the customs on my own not wanting to mess up the scheduled time for Remie.

As I paid for the 1 hour session at Johor Circuit, came a couple of Aprilia riders. They looked like well accomplished professionals judging from their Dainese and some renowned suits. It didn't take long for Remie to arrive, we discussed a couple of details before burning some tyres. He was going to station himself on the last turn to take a couple of laps before moving on to other locations. And so I went.


The last turn which was a right angled corner in PG, constitutes of a very straightforward trajectory. It was my favourite corner as the turn was pretty much a "what you see is what you get" corner, compared to the more tricky ones like turn 3 and 5.

Not long after I completed my 5th lap on the 1st straight, my clutch got stucked to its engage position. I had a handful and grabbed the lever forcefully. The clutch cable snapped. I was thinking to myself that I'm done for it this time. Luckily, I still made my way through back to the pits by roughing through the gearbox without the clutch.


Sian... That was it... Remie came to me trying to find out what happened. There went my shots, only available for the last turn.


In a desperate attempt to find out what went wrong, I had to remove the whole fairing to hook the cable back up. So at least I could go home.

After a half hour struggle, only to realise that the clutch cable hook resided within the sprocket housing. Crap. I rode back to SG having to kill the ignition on every junction cause there wasn't any way to slip the clutch on moving off...

Last turn with some photoshop effects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home