Thursday, July 08, 2004

Cornering Frenzy

Event dated 7th July 2004.

Disclaimer please read the previous post. Screw it if you know.

Heard of the Nissan Skyline, GTR? Or the Nissan Sunny? I just saw a hybrid, the Nissan Sunnyline GTR35 V-Spec 3, LoL. You are a nutter if you believed the earlier sentence. The new Nissan Sunnyline GTR35 is basically a Sunny driven like a Skyline, obviously you can't do that. But I just met one who tried to push his Sunny in the corners like the skyline... Wahaha.

Those who have watched Initial-D knows how Takumi drives the 85 like the 86, but too bad the one I saw ain't no Takumi. It happened when I was going home, around the Marsiling area.

It was a familiar road in vicinity to the Causeway Point after my filter from Woodlands Ave 2 leading from the SLE. I could sense a blue Sunny beside me driving alittle too hard, from the way it moved and stopped. Doesn't look any pro to me due to the hard vibrations on the springs. Right after the intersection at the Woodlands Ave 3, the Sunny throttled hard down the slight gradient on the road. Just as the blue Sunny was about to pass the junction, a white Civic Type R slotted in from the filter. Just as I was about to wonder if the Sunny dared to overtake the Type R at the risk of provoking* it, the Sunny just swung out to the right and overtook it.

(*the word provoking is used here because, a Type R can outrun a Sunny anytime, anywhere, as long as the driver likes. i hope that is common sense)

The Type R seems to be a neutral lawful party, just stayed behind and allowed to be overtaken. At the moment when the Sunny revved past the Type R, curiosity spurred me... How fast can it turn? Not saying that he was fast on the straight, just a normal saloon. But he looks as if he's doing some GT championship, or... Need For Speed Underground, Reality version?

I churned the petrol and followed the Sunny. Coincidentally, the Sunny was taking the same route which I was supposed to go home. Looks like heaven is arranging an unofficial race for me. First corner coming up, a left at the junction. The Sunny took a really bad line, I knew it was going to screw up... it went in too fast. Think the Sunny driver's hands weren't moving fast enough as well, he took an understeer around the corner. I estimated a lane's space is enough for me to take a line that allows my bike to full throttle on the apex of the curve. I was right on the Sunny's tails. My exit speed was much faster than the Sunny, began to feel the Sunny slow.

The Sunny began to feel my presence on the straight road, he sped up. I managed to keep up because of his poor cornering. The next corner was coming up, another lefty as well. I realised he slowed down more than the previous corner he took, I guess he began to feel the limitations of both his driving and the car. This time the hands were fast, but if only it was a Skyline. The side Gs exceeded the suspension and tyre grip tolerance, the rear flung out abit and the tyres screeched in agony. I'm glad he didn't hit the divider. I kept some distance behind the Sunny, cause I knew the Sunny would screw up again. Taking an even better line this time, setting up for the line on the far right to the 2nd lane. Half throttling out at the apex, not a perfect curve, but manage to put the Sunny in my mirrors. More foot pegs wasted.

I suspect the driver had quite a scare, I hope he learnt. Not that he needs a Skyline or Silvia, but at least tune the stabs, and drive more. Look, my intention is not to show how good I am, I'm just curious how good he drives. Most drivers here are fast on the straights, but buang at the corners. Please drive safely, for you and your family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home