Thursday, July 15, 2004

Scrambling Fire

Event dated 15th July, 2004, 4pm.

It was a pretty tiring day, woke up early morning to get to Singapore Poly to finish up some project. Pretty low budget project though, so gave the client shit... Haha. It was about 4pm after Kobo and I finished some buns and drinks, I gave Kobo a ride home. Due to the long day I had, I just wanted a smooth ride thus I was riding very slow and safely. Plus, I was carrying a pillion.

Things were going fine till we reached the intersection where the fire station between the Bukit Timah Road and Bukit Batok Avenue resides. At green, this scrambler hard throttled and caused a big deal of noise pollution... Being slightly curious, I pushed the bike just to see how fast it went. The scrambler was held up by a U-turning vehicle on the dual lane, and there was an incoming vehicle to his left. I full throttled and rolled past the traffic from the edge of the left lane and left the scrambler behind me.

We came to a stop between cars at the T-junction of Bukit Timah Road and Hume Ave. The restlessness of the scrambler behind was making me irritated. I could hear vague explosions of throttling from behind me... No tiredness was pulling me away from the adrenaline rush.

Green light.

The race was inevitable.

But somehow the thought of carrying a pillion held me back from full-throttling the vehicle, I prayed for the Scrambler rider to not overtake me and provoke my inner-competitive senses.

"BAAAAAAAA!!!". Went the scrambler from my right. I wasn't surprised at the acceleration of a lighter-frame, close-ratio gear box. I down-shifted the gear and throttling the bike at its power band. Slowly I closed in on the scrambler, just as I guessed, the scrambler was taken off its top speed due to the close-ratio gearing. We both swerved into a slight bend before the junction exit at Hill View Ave. The scrambler was taking an inferior line, I was forced to push into the scrambler inorder to possess a wider angle. We were 10 cms apart. The scrambler lacked both balls and skills to outdo in the corner. I exited the bend at a much faster speed and threw the scrambler in my mirrors.

The stretch of road was intensively dense due to constructions on both sides of the road, we entered into a stretch of slow and heavy traffic. After a couple of meters, both of us were held up behind a cement-truck. But it didn't take long before I spotted an opportunity to cut out of the congestion. I raced through the construction safety barriers, swinging out of the two-laner at 130. I was losing sight of the scrambler in the mirrors. I outran the Scrambler in a construction area with a pillion.

After I went away from the main road turning into Bukit Panjang, the scrambler finally caught up and went seperate ways. I'm glad Kobo wasn't affected by the ride... :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home